Preventative measures that can protect your heart
The heart is often seen simply as an organ that pumps blood throughout the body. However, the heart is actually much more complex, and affects our health and our body as a whole in many ways. In addition to the burden of cardiovascular disease, we strain our health with too much stress, which can lead to a lack of sleep and unhealthy eating habits. Protect and strengthen your heart, and therefore your general health as well, with a few simple lifestyle modifications.
- Increased salt consumption can lead to high blood pressure.
- If you already suffer from high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease, or diabetes, your salt consumption should be less than 6 grams per day.
- Avoid pre-prepared foods and too many meat and bread products. It is better to cook healthy and fresh meals yourself!
- Fruits and vegetables contain Potassium, which help counter the effects of sodium (salt), and therefore help reduce your blood pressure.
- High-quality oils such as Olive oil, Flaxseed oil, and Walnut oil should replace the intake of saturated fats and trans fats.
- Apples, peas, nuts, seeds, high-quality oils, green tea and garlic can reduce your cholesterol level.
- Bananas, raisins, kiwi, watermelon and chocolate with at least 60% cocoa help lower your blood pressure.